Entrian Source Search 0.93 BetaTuesday, May 27th, 2008 by Richie Hindle
I’m very pleased to announce the first public Beta release of Entrian Source Search. Entrian Source Search is a Visual Studio Addin that indexes your source code and gives you instant search results, even across millions of lines of code. The key features are:
- Seamless integration with Visual Studio 2005/2008.
- Syntax-coloured search results – so much easier to read than Find In Files!
- Searches everything: code, comments, strings, resources, documentation, changelogs, everything.
- You can filter the results by filename, directory, file extension or text.
- Autocomplete and configurable keyboard shortcuts make everything really quick to use.
I’ve been using it myself for months, and it’s been worth its weight in gold. One of the projects I work on has many millions of lines of code, and searching it was a royal pain. But Source Search has also been really valuable for small projects too, which came as a bit of a surprise – the syntax coloured results and keyboard shortcuts make it so much more pleasant and productive to use than Find In Files.
I’ve also found myself using it in preference to some of Visual Studio’s other tools, like “Find All References”. The fact that it searches in comments, ChangeLogs, and so on gives you a much better picture of what you’re searching for.
So, please download the free trial and tell me what you think!